• November 8, 2022

The Difference Between Podiatry and Orthopedic Foot Specialty

The feet are the base of the human body, responsible for your mobility, functionality, stability, and balance. Issues with the feet can quite literally throw your body out of proper functioning and leave you with various problems ranging from pain to deformity and even long-term disabilities.

You may need to see a qualified podiatrist or an experienced orthopedic foot surgeon in Houston, TX, for your condition, but how can you tell which specialist is right for you? Here are some key differences between both areas of practice:

Orthopedic Foot Specialists Focus on the Musculoskeletal System

Orthopedic practitioners are trained to deal with bones, joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the body, and orthopedic foot specialists and surgeons are a subspecialty within that discipline. They primarily deal with musculoskeletal disorders and conditions that typically require surgical intervention and affect other bones and ligaments in the body, including the following issues:

  • Achilles tendon tears
  • Stress, hindfoot, forefoot, and toe fractures
  • Ankle replacement and cartilage damage
  • Plantar fasciitis
  • Heel spurs
  • Bunions
  • Morton’s neuroma
  • Hammer toe, mallet toe, and claw toe deformities
  • Flat feet

a woman takes her high heels off and massages her feet

Podiatrists Focus on the Biomechanics and Dermatology

Our podiatrists in Houston are also foot specialists who work to address essentially the same issues as orthopedic foot specialists, including bone fractures and ligament tears. They also have other areas of focus. They help patients dealing with skin problems and disorders in the foot and ankle region, as well as the range of motion, functionality, and overall biomechanics in your foot and the ankle region. While they address many of the issues listed above, they also have expertise in dealing with the following:

  • Gout
  • Toenail diseases and fungal growth
  • Diabetic ulcers and wounds
  • Athlete’s foot
  • Hallux rigidus
  • Corns

Which Foot Specialist Do You Need?

The specialty doctor you choose will largely depend on your concerns and specific condition. In certain cases, your podiatrist may refer you to an orthopedic specialist or vice versa, and fortunately, at TOPS Surgical Specialty Hospital, both specialists are available.

The experienced surgeons and practitioners at our surgical specialty hospital in Houston, TX, handle various orthopedic foot surgery-related conditions and podiatry concerns.

If you have an orthopedic or podiatric condition, visit the TOPS website for more information regarding orthopedics or podiatry, and seek help. On both the orthopedics and podiatry pages, you can scroll down and find the right orthopedic or podiatry specialist near you and link to their website to make an appointment.



Contact Us

  • Driving Directions